Class starts with Scratch website loaded and unique account open on each computer (login etc. covered in later session). Students start a new project, and then have a brief verbal introduction to the interface. Students create a simple program using movement, control loops and events. Strong emphasis is placed on interactive problem solving (in red bold) as an effective method for students to learn programming.
How is it tailored for 5-7 year olds?
- Hands-on programming is introduced with minimal introduction (loading Scratch,logging in etc. is not covered in this session)
- Formal progressions – steps from basic technique to more sophisticated use cases
What is covered?
- Introduction to Scratch interface
- Basic movement (move, if on edge bounce)
- Basic Control Loops (repeat, forever) and Events
Click below for handout including step by step guide to completing the session.